Skip to main content
How to begin a book discussion: Fiction
Questions for Fiction
- What did you like best/least about this book?
- What characters in the book did you like best/least? Why?
- Share your favorite passage. Why does it stand out to you?
- What feelings did this book evoke for you?
- Have you read other books by this author? How do they compare?
- Which places in the book would you most like to visit?
- Which character in the book would you most like to meet?
- What do you think of the book's title? What other title would you choose?
- How well does the book's cover convey what the book is about?
- If you could hear this story from another person's perspective, who would you choose?
- What are the main ideas the author was trying to get across?
- Are you new to this genre? If so, what did/did you not enjoy about it?
- If you're not new to this genre, how does this novel compare to others you have read in the genre?
- Did it take time to get into reading the book or were you immediately drawn into the story? Why or why not?
How to begin a book discussion: Nonfiction
Questions for Nonfiction
- What is the purpose of this book, and who do you believe is the intended audience? Does it have wide appeal?
- How does this book relate to your life experiences?
- Do you believe the book presented a balanced viewpoint of the topic or was it onesided?
- Did the author included background and research as part of this book, if so, did it help your understanding of the subject?
- Did the book change your perspective?
- Would you read more about this subject? Why?
- Would you have read this book if it hadn't been a book club selection? WHy would you recommend this book?