Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Applying for a City ID
The City ID program began on Monday, June 4, 2018. Northfield City residents may register for a City ID at the Northfield Public Library, 210 Washington Street. The applicant needs to provide three forms of identification, including two forms of ID, including one photo ID, and one proof of residency document listed in Ordinance 994 to registering library staff, along with a completed application form and a registration fee. Your picture will be taken and the completed ID card will be mailed to you at the address you provided. See list of accepted forms of identification and address verification documents on this webpage.
Accepted forms of identification
A minimum of two of the following identity documents must be presented by applicant. At least one document, or two documents when taken together, must display a current photograph of the applicant and name, and must display the applicant’s date of birth.
- Driver's license or identification card issued by any state in the U.S.
- Tribal driver's license or identification card
- Consular identification cards
- U.S. permanent resident card (commonly known as "green card")
- Birth certificate issued by any state, territory or possession of the U.S. (excluding hospital records/certificates and abstracts of birth)
- U.S. certificate of birth abroad
- U.S. passport or passport card
- Minnesota identification card
- Tribal or Bureau of Indian Affairs affidavit of birth
- Foreign passport
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Employment Authorization Card (EAC)
- U.S. certificate of naturalization
- U.S. certificate of citizenship
- U.S. military DD-214
- U.S. military identification card (active duty, reserve or retired)
- Released offender identification from the Minnesota Department of Corrections (with photo)
- Photo identification card issued by the federal government of a foreign country that meets all of the following requirements:
- The issuing country authorizes the use of the card as an alternative to a passport for re-entry into the issuing country
- The card has a photograph of the applicant and the applicant's date of birth
- U.S. Social Security Administration card
- U.S. military dependent identification card
- U.S. Armed Forces driver's license
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs card
- U.S. Department of Justice inmate identification card
- U.S. Selective Service Card
- W-2 form issued by an employer in any state, territory or possession of the U.S.
- Concealed carry permit issued by any state, territory or possession of the U.S.
- Medical insurance identification card
- Professional license issued by any state, territory or possession of the U.S
- Bank card issued by a bank that does business in any state, territory or the possession of the U.S.
- Credit card issued by a bank that does business in any state, territory or possession of the U.S
- Marriage license or certificate
Accepted forms for proof of residency
An applicant is required to present one of the following documents as proof of residency, which should include both the applicant's name and a residential address located with City corporate boundaries.
- Utility Bill (e.g. cable, cell phone, gas, electric) dated within the last 30 days
- Written verification confirming a minimum of 30 days of residency within the last 30 days issued by a Minnesota licensed homeless shelter
- Written verification issued by a hospital, health clinic or Rice/Dakota County social services agency confirming a minimum of 30 days of residency within the last 30 days
- Bank account statement dated within the last 30 days
- Proof of current enrollment in a school located within City corporate boundaries, which can be used to establish proofs of residency for either student and/or parent of student
- Employment pay stub dated within the last 30 days
- Jury summons or court order issued by a State or Federal court dated within the last 30 days
- Federal or State income tax or refund statement dated within the last 30 days
- Insurance bill (homeowner's, renter's, health, life or automobile insurance) dated within the last 30 days