1. Tone is the key in these unpretentious, upbeat, evocative stories that touch the heart. They are "old fashioned" stories that reflect traditional, rather than modern values.
2. Lanuage may be colorful, homespun, or even sophisticated, but the style is generally not complex. The books generally contain no profanity.
3. Characters are comfortable companions, who may also add humor that lightens these books.
4. Story lines emphasize relationships among characters, rather than suspense or controversial social issues. Genial humor often underlines these stories, and there is no explicit sex or violence.
5. Settings may be historical or contemporary and are usually in a small town, enclosed community, or rural areas. Domestic pleasures often frame these novels.
6. Gentle pacing creates a leisurely story filled with affable characters and no unsettling surprises.
Gentle reads are "feel good" books. They are frequently filled with colorful characters. The stories are charming. They generally contain no profanity and no explicit sex or violence. These stories are charming. They generally contain no profanity and no explicit sex or violence. the stories reflect conventional values and end happily. The stories are evocative, whether they are contemporary or historical settings.
Gilbert Morris Barbara Michaels
Richard Bach Phyllis Whitney
George MacDonald Peter Mayle
Richard Paul Evans Brock and Bodie Thoene
Robin Lee Hatcher Debbie Macomber
Clyde Edgerton Sharon Owens
Paul Gallico Rosamunde Pilcher
Garrison Keillor Jeanne Ray
Angela Thirkell Rhys Bowen
Adriana Trigiani Katie Fjorde
Joseph Girzone Barbara Metzger
Phillip Gulley Francis Ray
Jan Karon Victoria Holt
Kaye Gibbons Mary Stewart
Eudora Welty Molly Gloss
Alexander McCall Smith Jeanne Williams
Debbie Macomber Sara Addison Allen
Robin Pilcher Maeve Binchy
Nicholas Sparks Neta Jackson
This list represents many gentle reads authors, but there are more. Let me know others that you have read.
A variety of people read gentle reads.
The readers want heartwarming stories, portraying
smaller, often domestic pleasures.
Readers are usually looking for a smaller cast of characters
and a narrower focus.
Readers are passionate about the books they read and like to
share the books with others.